EMOTIONS!
Why do we have them? Where did they originate? Are they healthy and beneficial? Can the way we respond to their challenges be considered a test of our maturity or are they detrimental to our ability to function in the world? Is self-control important? Why does memory and emotions oftentimes coincide? What can/should our emotions teach us about ourselves? We cannot forget that the Soul consists of the mind, will and emotions and they should act together. However sometimes one will dominate the other, or possibly they will all be deceived together.
How can we define emotion? Websters Dictionary defines it as follows: Disturbance-Excitement. The affective aspect of consciousness: feeling. A state of feeling. A psychic and physical reaction subjectively experienced as strong feeling and physiologically involving changes that prepare the body for immediate vigorous action. End definition. I think that this definition covers the subject, or man’s concept of emotion very well, except for the vigorous action part. I think in some aspects of a physical emotional response such as fear, anger, lust, or perhaps some others, vigorous action is expected but maybe shouldn’t be, although in others such as emotional hurt/pain, past or current love relationships, depression, sadness, loneliness or others, it is more of a psychic or physiological response that can evolve into an unhealthy physical or psychological condition. Emotions can oftentimes have a crippling effect on any potential healthy physical response and/or leave an individual unresponsive emotionally. There are many other emotional responses such as joy, contentment, worry, anxiety, offense, resentment, jealousy, etc. and the list goes on. Some of these are the result of a previous emotional event or condition. Anyway you study emotions I believe they can have either a positive or negative effect on our thoughts and/or actions depending on how we have learned to respond to them.
We all have emotions whether we like or acknowledge them or not. They are a part of our nature and imbued in us by our creator God. We were all created in the image and likeness of God and He definitely has emotions. That is well defined in the Bible. Emotions are what makes humans unique and distinct in the created world and what makes us feel alive and responsive. We can but don’t always act on instinct as in the animal kingdom. What has always stood out in my experience with my own emotional nature is how often a memory, sound or sight of something or someone can elicit a strong emotional response given the right stimuli because of something related to our past. Our five senses, through their continual perception of something familiar in the world around us and/or related to past experiences often trigger emotional responses and some of those we may have completely forgotten and take us completely by surprise. Pictures such as those found in scrap books, photo albums, etc can oftentimes provoke strong emotional responses and oftentimes have us questioning our pathway through life. Dreams can often evoke strong emotional responses also. We can hear a story being told by someone and it evokes a memory of our own that has similar details.
What is also surprising to me is when sometimes I hear a completely new song or instrumental music piece and it puts me in an emotional state and oftentimes can actually transport me into another time or place I have never experienced before. Sometimes this can also happen when I see and/or experience a new, never been to before location. It can probably be compared to the feeling of deja vu. Occasionally I see a person, a complete stranger, and it feels to me like I know them or have a strong desire to get to know them. This is confirmed when I and this other person happen to eventually meet and a conversation begins. When I look into their eyes I can see the same response, or what appears to me to be the same, and there is a comfortableness between us. There are times when we should stop and consider, carefully thinking using common sense and conversation with the Lord to determine the truth and direction our lives should take.
Can emotions be controlled and should they be? I believe some of the emotions we experience can and should be controlled. Examples being anger, fear, lust and maybe others. Some emotions that some of us cannot seem to cope with or are not easily controlled could mean we need help with these and should seek that help. These could include hurt/pain, depression, loneliness, loss, rage, fear and possibly others. I believe it is advantageous to let some of our emotions play out because they can provide understanding and closure. These are the ones that will not injure another person.
I believe emotions are beneficial if they are understood and used to help us grow and mature into the individuals God created us to be. Our successful growth and maturity can only be achieved to our complete satisfaction/contentment when we co-labor with God as we move through our life and experience these emotions. God will share knowledge, understanding and wisdom with us which will enable us to successfully navigate any and all of life's emotional challenges. We just have to put our complete faith, trust, and belief in Him. Sometimes that can be a challenge in itself when we are going through tough times, but that is our best path forward through emotional situations or circumstances. Give God a chance. There is always more to consider regarding this subject but I hope and pray some of this will be beneficial to some of you.
Love and Peace, Amen
Pastor Walter C. Scott
Comments
Post a Comment
Please be respectful when commenting and honor our Lord with your words.